The Law Firm of Mogel, Speidel, Bobb and Kershner
About Us

Why Do I Need a Reading PA Attorney?

The legal system is very complex. This resource section is designed to raise your awareness of what questions may come up in various legal situations you may wish to discuss with a Reading PA attorney. Your attorney will be able to help you navigate the legal process and assist you in addressing issues related to general legal matters and different types of litigation. It is important to keep in mind there are many instances in which speaking with an attorney sooner rather than later can make a significant difference in the outcome of a seemingly routine legal issue.

Organized by the type of legal situation, this list of questions within the following categories will give you an idea of the issues you may face and may need to be addressed:

Divorce, Child Custody or Child Support Matters

  • How does one begin the process to obtain a Protection from Abuse Order?
  • Are there defenses to a Protection from Abuse action?
  • For how long can a Protection from Abuse Order be valid?
  • Can custody be addressed in a Protection from Abuse matter?
  • What is the difference between spousal support and alimony pendente lite?
  • How are child support, spousal support, and alimony pendente lite calculated?
  • Are there tax consequences to a Support Order?
  • How does the Court determine primary custody?
  • What factors does the Court consider in determining how to structure a Custody Order?
  • How long can a divorce process take before the parties can finalize the divorce matter?
  • Is there a difference between being separated and separation for divorce purposes?
  • How are expenses, such as a house mortgage and utilities, addressed during a divorce case?
  • What factors are considered to determine how the marital assets are divided?
  • Is it possible that some assets may not be considered marital property?
  • What is the process of drafting a Pre-Nuptial or Mid-Nuptial Agreement, and will that permit me to determine how my assets will be divided in the event of a divorce?
  • How are retirement funds addressed? 401(k)'s? IRA's? PSERS Accounts? How can I avoid paying taxes on a transfer of these accounts to a spouse?
Divorce, Child Custody or Child Support Lawyers

Adoption and Protection From Abuse Orders (PFAs)

  • How does an adoption take place?
  • Can a step-parent adopt a step-child?
  • Must a biological parent consent to an adoption, or can actions be taken to terminate the parents' parental rights?
  • How does an adoption affect a child support order?
Adoption and Protection From Abuse Orders (PFAs) Lawyers

Estate Planning and Administration

  • What is a Will? Why do you need a Will?
  • What is the legal process when someone passes away? What is the Probate Process? What is an Estate?
  • What is a Power of Attorney? How is that different from a Will? Do you need both?
  • What is a Durable Health Care Power of Attorney? How is that different from a Will?
  • What is the difference between a Power of Attorney and a Durable Health Care Power of Attorney?
  • Are you ever too young to have a Will, Power of Attorney or Durable Health Care Power of Attorney?
  • Who should you choose as the Executor/Executrix of your Estate? This is the person you designate who makes decisions about your legal affairs when you pass away.
  • How are attorneys paid when an attorney administers an Estate after an individual passes away?
  • How is the probate process initiated?
  • What is the difference between a Power of Attorney and a Guardian?
  • What are some major life triggers that should cause you to revise your Will, Power of Attorney and Durable Health Care Power of Attorney?
  • Who should you name as your Agent in your Power of Attorney or Durable Health Care Power of Attorney?
  • What steps can I take now so that I do not have to worry about my family members deciding whether to prolong my life in the event that decision needs to be made?
  • How do you file the Decedent's final tax return?
  • What if there is some disagreement over the contents of the Will? How is that addressed?
Estate Planning and Administration Lawyers

  • How much time do you have to bring a cause of action? Different types of actions must be brought within a certain period of time.
  • For what types of actions can you sue?
  • Is it possible that your matter may settle, or will you have to go to Trial?
  • How will I pay my attorney? Do I have to pay the attorney hourly or will the attorney be paid on a contingency fee basis? (A contingency fee basis is when an attorney receives a portion of the amount you are awarded).
  • What if you are sued? Do you have a defense to the cause of action against you?
  • Should you notify your insurance carrier, automobile or homeowner's insurance, of a potential claim or a suit that is brought against you?
  • How do you bring a cause of action on behalf of a minor child?
Litigation Lawyers

Real Estate and Zoning
  • Should your property be titled in joint names?
  • Can you defend against a foreclosure action on your property?
  • Can you build on your property without asking for a building permit or a zoning permit?
  • Are zoning regulations determined by municipality, state or some combination?
  • Depending on what needs to be accomplished, what type of zoning relief do you need to request?
  • Will you have to hire an expert, such as an engineer or surveyor?
  • What steps can be taken to increase the likelihood that a request to the municipal body will be granted or what steps can be taken to help streamline the process of applying to the zoning body?
  • Do you have to have a hearing in front of a Zoning Board?
  • What do you do if you have made an application to a Zoning Board but have already been denied?
Real Estate and Commercial Lawyers
Zoning Lawyers

What to expect from meeting with an Attorney
  • Explanation of services.
  • Discussion of your case, discussion of whether or not you have a case, discussion of what the process may be to address your case, and discussion of what work needs to be done.
  • What you should bring depends on the type of case you have. This is a good question to ask when you schedule your first appointment.
  • Costs vary based on the type of the case. Costs and expenses are discussed during the initial consultation. This is usually followed up by a written agreement outlining such costs and expenses.
  • If you have questions that you would like to discuss with an attorney at Mogel, Speidel, Bobb & Kershner, we recommended that you contact one of the shareholders of the firm listed below. Their names have been listed by practice area so that you may call the appropriate attorney to discuss your case.
Copyright © Mogel Speidel Bobb & Kershner | All rights reserved.

Main Reading Law Office: 520 Walnut Street, Reading, PA 19601 | Call: 610-376-1515
Womelsdorf Law Office: 130 West High Street, Womelsdorf, PA 19567 | Call: 610-589-5755
Douglassville Law Office: 840 Benjamin Franklin Highway (Route 422 East), Douglassville, PA 19610 | Call: 610-376-1515
Visit us on Google+ | Like us on Facebook

The Law Firm of Mogel, Speidel, Bobb, & Kershner represents clients in Berks County, Reading, Wyomissing, West Reading, Exeter, Shillington, Pottstown, Birdsboro, Mt. Penn, Boyertown, Muhlenberg, Lehigh County, Allentown, Lebanon County, Lebanon, Lancaster, Lancaster County, Ephrata, Montgomery County, Norristown, Schuylkill County, Pottsville, Chester County, West Chester, and throughout Eastern Pennsylvania.